Steelhead Workshop – Learn to fish for Steelhead!
October 21 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Com learn to fish for steelhead with some of Oregon’s best anglers. You’ll learn the basics of winter steelhead fishing and have a fun time doing it!
Join members of the Salem Chapter of the Association of Northwest Steelheaders as you learn the elements of steelhead fishing. This workshop will feature hands-on instruction and will cover the following topics:
- Regulations and licenses required
- Selection of proper matching rod and reel
- How reels work and how to cast
- Types of lines, and which techniques to use them with
- How to tie the essential knots
- Hook sizes, types and sharpening
- The three most common methods: drift fishing, bobbers and jibs, and spinners or spoons
- Where do I cast? The best fish holding water for the three common methods
- Cooking and smoking recipes
Cost: $52.00/Adult and $22/Youth (must be 9 or older). A regular annual membership to the Association of Northwest Steelheaders is included in your registration! A picnic style lunch and beverages are included in the workshop fee. Participants need a fishing license (one-day, multi-day or annual) with harvest tag and Columbia River Basin Endorsement in order to legally fish at the workshop.
Participants are welcome to use their own gear or ODFW loaner rods and reels for the fishing event. If you are wanting to bring your own spinning rod, the average Steelhead/Salmon spinning rod is an 8.5- or 9-foot rod with a medium to heavy-medium action. A matching reel would need to hold up to 150-200 yards and up to 15-pound test line.
For more information and to register online, please go here.